and Your Dental Health
Over the course of your life, you only get two sets of teeth: your “baby teeth” and your permanent teeth.
It’s important for both children and adults to understand how to take care of each and every tooth to maintain a bright, beautiful smile!
Out team cleans and manages your complete set of 32 teeth, which include:
- 8 incisors, the teeth at the front of the mouth
- 4 canines, the fang-like teeth to the side of your front teeth
- 8 bicuspids, the side teeth that are behind the canines
- 4 first molars, the smaller set of molars
- 4 second molars, the larger set of molars
- 4 third molars, also known as “wisdom teeth”
Dental Hygiene Tips & Tricks
Studies have shown that when you have good dental health, your overall health is greatly improved! Poor oral hygiene can result in chronic conditions including diabetes, heart disease, and even stroke. To avoid these problems, dentists recommend:
- Brushing twice a day and flossing once a day
- Check-ups every 6 months to avoid tooth decay, gum disease, and tooth loss
- Eating a diet low in sugar and high in fruits and vegetables
- Avoiding cigarettes and other tobacco products
- Maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle
Answers To Common Children’s Dental Health Questions
- A child’s first visit to the dentist should occur before 12 months of age
- Run a damp washcloth over your child’s teeth after feeding once teeth first erupt. Use a small amount of toothpaste once the teeth grow larger
- Your child should have enough teeth by the age of 2 to begin brushing with supervision
- Dental sealants are thin plastic coatings applied to children’s molars to prevent cavities
Have A Question? Give Us A Call!
If you have any questions, please feel free to give us a ring! You can call us at (516) 858-5921 to reach us by phone, and we’ll answer any questions and help you schedule an appointment. Our office is located in Great Neck, NY, and we serve patients from the surrounding areas of Manhasset, Roslyn and more.